Sunday, January 3, 2010

What makes me worth reading?

This blog spot represents my first foray into the blogosphere. I suppose many bloggers just post things because they are passionate about a subject, or think they have something worthy to say. That is true for me as well, but I think I can bring a unique perspective to the wonderful world of food even though the topic has been discussed more than the chicken and the egg controversy (both of which are also popular in the food world).

So the following represents why I believe I am more qualified to host a food blog than the average hash slinger. I hope that last statement doesn't lead you to think that I'm a food snob, because some of the best food around can be dished out by short order cooks. What I bring to the table is a combination of food service experience, more than four decades of cooking yummy dishes, extensive travel on food and drink related trips, and an ability to think so far outside the box that some of what I will say will have you scratching your head in befuddlement.

First, I have worked in the food service industry as a cook, bus boy and server. Second, I have prepared somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen to twenty thousand meals, many of which have had people calling for encores (no brag just fact). As you will see in future posts, my recipes, while simple and not all unique, offer much of what we all love about food. Prepared correctly, certain combinations of food stuffs can yield dishes that are quick, easy to make, healthy, delicious and appeal to our inner beast. It is that beast which I seek to tame. Third, I've dined (the classier version of "eaten") at some of the best restaurants in San Fransisco, Chicago, New York, Miami and St. Louis to name but a few. I've attended wine tastings in Napa, Sonoma, the Russian River valley, the Willamette Valley and the Tuscan region of Italy. While this palette of experience is by no means unique or unparalleled, I have a sixth sense when it comes to food and drink. I just know what will taste good together before I ever taste it! And by "taste good" I don't mean just to me. I know what will tantalize the taste buds of most people without regard for ethnicity, gender, age or other differentiating criteria. Certain food just taste good and that's that!

All of the foregoing being said, I also know that I have much more to learn about food and drink than I currently know. That's where all of you come in. Each of us brings a perspective to the consumption equation that is as individual as our fingerprint. Recognizing that you never know it all, or even know better than others, is key to expanding your food wisdom quotient.

My goal, therefore, is to host a blog where absolutely everyone can bring something new to the table. We won't judge, criticize or label (at least I hope you won't). We will listen with ears and mouths wide open, and consider every point of view no matter how preposterous it may seem. I sincerely hope that this blog will be one of sharing, tolerance and understanding. I also intend to upgrade my site to include photos, recipes and possibly even video, although having just discovered fire, I may be a few weeks away from such gaudy technological displays. Until then, I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on whatever tickles your fancy when it comes to food and drink. Until then, if you can imagine it, somebody can cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment